Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled commercial Absinthe in early 19th century in Pontarlier, France, employed a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs just like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany as well as nutmeg. Wine is the standard base for Absinthe however some distillers use other sorts of alcohol.
If you try to find Absinthe recipes online, you will notice that many of them involve steeping blends of herbs in liquor such as Everclear, white rum or vodka.
Just how do you Create Absinthe from home?
However some recipes online are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without having a license is illegal in lots of countries and you simply require the right equipment and you have to know what you are doing. So, are there more methods for making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This typically involves steeping herbs like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a while or even a couple of weeks inside the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Just distillation can provide a genuine Absinthe, this will just provide you with an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Employing an Absinthe Kit – Most of the kits available online, much like the ones from Green Devil, are only steeping kits. They’re easier than finding and preparing your own personal herbs but you are simply steeping the herbs in vodka again and coming up with a flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much easier and better way to make Absinthe in your own home. AbsintheKit.com develop essences for the Absinthe industry as well as the essences are produced by distilling standard Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is done for you and all you should do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you have a genuine Absinthe drink.
The essences are available in four various types:-
– Classic Green Essence to create a classic “verte” Absinthe which has a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to produce a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This actually also carries a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to make Absinthe with a twist. This essence is likely to make a yellow-orange coloured Absinthe with a natural orange flavor and a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence can make an Absinthe with a higher thujone content (55mg) and a more bitter wormwood flavour.
You may either get a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to produce one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or buy a kit for $29 to make 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit includes a handy plastic measure and 14 imaginative bottle labels. All you need to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Bare in mind that the alcohol content of your Absinthe is determined by your alcohol base. Be mindful, drink Absinthe sparingly because it is a much stronger beverage than other spirits and also fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or maybe a neutral alcohol which lacks a strong taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.